Craft are doing a new series where crafters are sharing their 5,4,3,2,1 things.... so here are mine
One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of?
I didn't think so when I first made it but I would have to say the Steggie back pack, we get so many compliments when I am out with ebi-kun and he is wearing it.
Two Mistakes You've Made in the Past
1. Where to start? I am not very good when it comes to sewing clothes for myself and I don't think I have ever made anything for myself that i haven't cocked up somewhere along the way, so all handmade clothes for myself can count as one.
2. Taking on custom orders and not charging enough for them so I end up working at a loss, I have tried to put a stop to that, as much as I love making one off items it takes so much more time, now I figure time into the equation to make it worth my while.
Three Things That Make Your Work Unique
1. I don't like to make 'knock offs' of other peoples design so I always try and think of a new approach to a project, I like to think that i am inspired not influenced by others.
2. Having a complete inability to follow instructions properly means that I tend to do things 'my way' which often leads me down the path of question two but also means that I find my own way of doing things.
3. I think having worked and lived all over the place and having an educational background in engineering and plenty of teaching under my belt, my personal journey that has got me here so far makes the way i think and approach ideas quite unique and I think that shows in my work.
Four Tools You Love to Use
1. My rotary cutter, I have NO idea how I survived before I bought it.
2. Photoshop, I was without it for about 2 weeks when we swapped the computers over, nearly killed me.
3. My sewing machine, she is lovely.
4. Notebook and pen, can't go anywhere without them.
1. Living in Japan is a constant source of inspiration, I never get bored of the packaging, the zakka goods, the kawaiiness and silliness of it all and I shouldn't forget to mention the amazing Japanese books and magazines available.
2. Pinterest is a biggie these days, I often get sucked in and spat out hours later. If you are on there let me know, you can find me as jojoebi.
3. Blogs, blogs, blogs.... too many to mention and my reader if full of such a strange collection. There are so many wonderful and creative people out there sharing their work and ideas, I can never get enough.
4. My son, often he will spark off an idea or he will think of something and I will expand on it, he is also my biggest fan! Montessori molds much of what we do together too.
5. Colour or texture combinations, I will often see say a display in a shop and it is not the items that catch my eye it is the colour combo, or it could be flowers in the park or leaves against the sky, I am a very visual person and colour plays a big part in my design work. Often I will stall on a new pattern or project because I haven't got just the right colour fabric. In fact there are at least 3 projects in my WIP pile due to that reason right now!
Now it is your turn....