Actually the 5th of May is kodomo-no-hi (Children's day) but since the girls have their own day it seems unfair that the boys have to share theirs! Anyway, in Japan koinobori are displayed, many people, especially out in the countryside have big koi fish flying from flag poles. Usually we are camping for kodomo-no-hi so we play 'spot the koi' when driving around. As our camping trip was cancelled I thought I had better come up with a quick decoration....
What you need:
3 sizes of round stickers
1. Fold and cut a sheet of paper in half, this will make two koi.
2. Cut a triangle from one end to make the tail shape.
3. Flip the paper over and fold over the end.
4. Flip back the right way and put on the biggest sticker for an eye.
5. Add the middle sized sticker in the eye.
6. Add the smallest sticker, the eye is finished.
7. Take a row of big stickers and cute them in half.
8. Stick them in a 3, 2, 1 formation for the scales.
9. When all the koi are made, flip them over, tape the string under the folded end.
10. Add a bit of tape to keep the flap down, then hang up your koi bunting.
You can find more boys day fun over at Zakka Life.