Tuesday 9 February 2010

The day I have been dreading

It started out like any other day, we ran a few errands on the bike then stopped off at the park on the way home. It was a nice warm day and some of the older kids were out so Ebi-kun had someone to play with. It was lunch time and I was thinking about heading home, Ebi-kun was racing against the other boys then he fell, no biggie, he falls over all the time but this time he screamed and I knew that something was wrong.
I ran over and he was screaming about his arm, he could move his fingers but he was obviously in agony, luckily the park was full of mom's including one that spoke a little English (well, her English level is about the same as my Japanese so conversations never get very complicated). I had no idea which hospital to take him to, she suggested one but I had no idea where it was, then someone mentioned it was lunch time and it would be closed. Hina-chan's mama called them and they said to take him round she also offered to drive us.
The doctor had a look at his arm and decided it needed an x-ray at this point Ebi-kun was in shock, all wobbly legged and white as a sheet but the doctor was "come on, your a boy, gambaru, do you best" (I am sure it would have been a different tale if he was a girl!) So, off we go for the x-ray, this is when the sobbing stopped and the questions started, poor technician probably wondered what had happened, Ebi-kun firing off a load of questions about how it all worked. He came out of the room super excited because he had seen his bones on the computer, that's my boy :o)
So, the outcome is a fracture near his wrist, he got what I can only describe as half a cast, they put a big wet pad on it then bandaged it up and now it is hard, we have to go back this morning to have it checked.

I really don't like going to the hospital here because of the language barrier, I can handle something simple like a cough or cold but get nervous when it is something else, what if I misunderstand or they misunderstand me? And even my basic Japanese goes out of the window, yesterday I managed to get the words arm and leg muddled up! Luckily, I now have a number of friends I can call if I need help and I have a great couple of neighbours too. I spent last night baking cookies and making a little bag to put them in as a thank you for the neighbour who took us to the hospital.
As for the little invalid, he is fine, slept OK last night, they gave us painkillers but he hasn't needed them, I think the excitement of the seeing the x-ray killed the pain.


  1. ohh no! But all in all I'm sure it was a more traumatic experience for you than ebi-kun!

    How great that the other mums came to your assistance. The specialist doctor system here is so confusing- even if you speak the language!

    Here's to a speedy and painless recovery. I'm sure you and ebi-kun will have that lain white sling looking artsy in no time! ;)

  2. LOL funny you should say that, as the nurse was putting it on I was thinking it needed a bit of....something :o)
    watch this space!

  3. Ah bless him, he's such a brave little soldier. And such an ordeal for you....hope you had a treat for yourself too. Hugs to you both xxx

  4. I'm glad there wasn't any blood!

  5. Poor wee man, I hope he heals quickly and feels better soon.

  6. Oh, poor Ebi-kun! But hey, he got to see his bones - super cool! I also live in dread of this kind of thing. I guess it's pretty much inevitable at some point, with three kids... I'm kind of hoping that if they fall and break a bone, it might happen at school and the worst might be over by the time I arrive!

    Looking forward to seeing what you do with the sling! xxx

  7. Poor little kid, but so brave! I feel for you - it must have been a harrowing time. Hope that no further procedures are required.

  8. I love that picture of him...priceless. That is awesome that just seeing his arm/bones was all it took for him to calm down. What a trooper!

    I can totally relate to the language barrier in hospitals. So thankful there was someone to help. I sometimes zone out with all the hungarian being said to me. Thankful everything turned out!!!

  9. OMG, I dread that day too, Manon is full of beans and she had a bad fall last year on the scooter. Like you I don't have a car (language barrier is not an issue) but a neighbour drove us to the Hospital. She was in shock too but except a black eye and a cut above the eyebrow she was fine (it's mandatory here to have an helmet). I was thinking of sending a postcard to Ebi-kun from Miga, quatchi the Olympic Mascott from Vancouver. Would he like this? they are so cute. Send me your adress on my email. Hope he feels better soon. GG

  10. thank you for all the well wishes, he is doing fine! I have to keep reminding him not to jump off the sofa, run down the stairs etc - you know the things you don't want them to do with 2 good arms!

  11. Oh my! I hope he heals quickly. It must be so hard to not be able to easily communicate in situations like that.

  12. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet boy's injury. The picture of him makes him seem so fragile and small. :(

    I'll keep him in my thoughts & prayers!

  13. gigig - thank you for the offer of a postcard, I am sure Ebi-kun would love that, he loves getting mail! I can't find your email address or rather i have 3 email addys for gigi and I don't know which is yours!
    Could you mail me first, thanks.
    montessori.swapshop at gmail dot com


Thank you!
I love hearing from you and if you haven't joined us in Moms That Rock, come on over!

Pin It button on image hover